Bethesda Conference – E3 2017
Well, it has to be said that this year’s Bethesda conference was a little below par. Not much in the way of new games and a lot of retreading past hits. Seems like a filler year for Bethesda. There were some highlights though so it wasn’t a total waste.
– First up was the VR games line up. Doom VFR and Fallout 4 VR were both shown. It will be interesting to see how these games translate, especially Doom, as there are some serious control issues to get around. It is exciting that a company is at least trying to bring this sort of experience to VR though.
– We then had some Morrowind footage for Elder Scrolls Online. It looked great but honestly, it is probably only really exciting for existing players. I can’t see it bringing in new folk. We also had mention of Elder Scrolls Legends, the CCG, can’t say there was much in the way of excitement there.
– Bethesda announced the Creation Club, which at first glance appears to be a paid mod marketplace. Interesting approach to something that has backfired before. The reaction to this should be intriguing.
– Waggle Skyrim was next on show. Motion controls in Skyrim seem about as awkward as watching Boogie Nights with your Grandma. Otherwise, for the two people out there that have never played Skyrim and have a Switch, this is an exciting time.
– A new standalone DLC pack for Dishonored was announced with two new characters. Called Death to the Outsider it will be hitting stores September 15 this year. More Dishonored is always good, let’s hope it is a worthy addition to the franchise.
– The rockets came thick and fast in the Quake Champions trailer. It looks super intense and is sure to scratch those looking for speed in their Competitive FPS. Not for everyone but its intended crowd should be well served here.
-It took some time but Bethesda finally showed a brand new game at the show. The Evil Within 2. The trailer was certainly creepy and it looks to be a hit for horror fans. Hopefully, the rough edges of the first game get smoothed out for the release. The game is hitting stores on the 13th of October
– The grand finale for Bethesda was Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus. It looks batshit crazy but totally amazing. This was, without doubt, the best game of the Bethesda show and fans of the first game should be frothing at the mouth. The Trailer was astounding and if you only watch one Bethesda trailer this should be it.
So there you have it. The Bethesda show. 2 new games, 1 new DLC pack and a whole bunch of old stuff. Not a great show at all but it was still exciting to get Wolf and Evil Within. The other cool thing is that everything mentioned at the show is out this year, something no other company can lay claim too. Still, it is hard not to feel a little disappointed about this one.