Nintendo Direct Drops an Abundance of Release Dates
Usually, Nintendo Direct presentations are a little on the stale side of things. They talk about one or two games, give a release date, show a little footage and move on. Today however, Nintendo brought out the big guns with a slew of game announcements, release date confirmations and even some new Amiibo to keep the collectors happy.
The key announcements were focused on ARMS and Splatoon 2, both getting release dates. ARMS will be landing on the 16th of June and Splatoon 2 will be hitting our Switches on the 21st of July. Good to see Nintendo living up to their promise of a steady trickle of big games.
But that was not even a fifth of the info Ninty dropped today. To catch it all check out the full Direct and associated press release below.
- ARMS: One of the biggest features in the upcoming fighting game is the ability to equip two types of customisable ARMS per fighter. These ARMS range from standard gloved arms to curved weapons like boomerangs. Each ARM has a special attribute like fire, ice or electricity that activates when delivering a charge punch. As players fight through the game, they will earn in-game currency that can be used to play in the ARM Getter, a fun mode in which they can get new ARMS for their fighters. The fast-paced game can be played in 1-v-1 matches or even 2-v-2* for more entertainingly chaotic battles. During the Nintendo Direct presentation, two characters were put under the spotlight: the newly-revealed and super-fast kung-fu fighter Min Min, with her extendable ramen arms, and the energetic, determined Spring Man, who specialises in bouncing back from near-defeat. ARMS launches exclusively for Nintendo Switch on 16th June. In addition, special neon yellow Joy-Con controllers and Joy-Con Straps will be released on the same day, alongside the Joy-Con AA Battery Pack accessory, sold in pairs.
- Splatoon 2: Salmon Run, a new four-player co-op mode*, is coming to Splatoon 2. By teaming up with friends, players can take on a part-time job battling the new Salmonid species, which the Squid Research Lab reports might even be more lethal than the Octarians! When players fall in co-op mode, teammates can revive them by inking them on the battlefield. Splatoon 2 launches exclusively for Nintendo Switch on 21st July. In addition, three new individual amiibo figures for the game – fresh new designs of Inkling Girl, Inkling Boy and Inkling Squid – will launch on the same day and grant special limited gear in-game. By tapping these amiibo (as well as previously released Splatoon amiibo), the figure character will appear in the game and befriend players. Befriend an amiibo character and they will remember favourite weapons, gear, outfits and option settings. This comes in handy when waging Turf War at a friend’s house!
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: When Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launches on 28th April, it will do so with more characters, karts and tracks unlocked from the start than any other game in Mario Kart Both traditional racing and the newly revamped battle modes can be played in local wireless play with eight players*, or in LAN play** and online* with up to 12 players.
- Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers: The game launches for Nintendo Switch on 26th May and includes all of the classic characters and two new fighters: Evil Ryu and Violent Ken. Additionally, a “Way of the Hado” mode lets players throw HADOKENS with first-person motion controls, and an exciting two-player co-op mode* gives a player and a friend one health bar for intense two player vs. CPU matches.
- Project Mekuru (name not final): Multiplayer action game fans are in for a treat when Project Mekuru (name not final) launches exclusively in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch this winter. This frantic and fun game lets up to four players battle locally or online* to flip panels and eject opponents.
- Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition: One of the most popular creation games of all time is coming to Nintendo Switch. The fan-favourite Super Mario Mash-Up pack, along with new multiplayer play and control options, will be included in Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition when it launches on Nintendo eShop mid-May and in stores at a later date.
- Two Sonics, Two Styles: Nintendo Switch is getting two new Sonic games in 2017. Sonic Forces is a modern 3D take on Sonic games and follows the blue hedgehog hero as he uses his stylish high-speed moves to bring down the nefarious Eggman. Sonic and a mysterious new ally will rise up when Sonic Forces launches for Nintendo Switch this summer. Sonic Mania launches this winter and features retro 2D graphics and a host of new stages, as well as some classic stages from previous games in the Sonic the Hedgehog
- Disgaea 5 Complete: The definitive version of the fifth game in the tactical RPG series, Disgaea 5 Complete, is coming to Nintendo Switch on 2nd June. A free demo for the game will launch in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch soon.
- NEOGEO Masterpieces: Starting today, more NEOGEO classic games like Samurai Shodown IV are available to purchase in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch. Some future NEOGEO games coming to the system include Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters ’99.
- Puyo Puyo Tetris: Two classic puzzle games face off in Puyo Puyo Tetris. The four-player puzzle mashup game* launches on Nintendo Switch from 28th April. For anyone that wants to try before they buy, a free demo for the game is now available.
- Monopoly for Nintendo Switch: One of the most famous board games ever is coming to Nintendo Switch. Up to six players* can experience the classic game with HD rumble features and optional shorter sessions when Monopoly for Nintendo Switch launches this spring.
- Rayman Legends Definitive Edition: The gorgeous, award-winning platformer is coming to Nintendo Switch later this year. On Nintendo Switch, an exclusive Kung Foot experience offers a Solo Mode and tournaments for up to eight players*.
- Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star: Featuring playable characters from multiple Fate productions across three distinct narrative perspectives, Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star delivers the series’ most legendary showdown yet. The Nintendo Switch version will come loaded with 35 previously-released paid DLC costumes, along with an exclusive new Unshackled Bride outfit. The high-octane action title will launch in Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch in July.
- More Titles On the Way: Two new titles from THQ Nordic – Sine Mora EX and RPG Battle Chasers: Nightwar – will hit Nintendo Switch in winter and late winter respectively.
- Hey! PIKMIN: The first portable Pikmin game finds Captain Olimar embarking on an adventure through lush worlds with his trusted Pikmin by his side. In this new type of Pikmin game, players are tasked with throwing all types of different Pikmin using the touch screen to solve puzzles, overcome challenges and defeat enemies through side-scrolling levels. Hey! PIKMIN launches exclusively for Nintendo 3DS family systems on 29th July. A new Pikmin amiibo figure will also launch separately on the same day and allows players to call in additional Pikmin***
- Kirby’s 25th Anniversary: To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Kirby franchise, three new Kirby games are coming to Nintendo 3DS:
- Exclusive to Nintendo eShop, Team Kirby Clash Deluxe features four Kirby characters with different powers (Sword Hero, Hammer Lord, Beam Mage or Doctor Healmore) who battle giant enemies together. The free-to-start game launches
- In Kirby’s Blowout Blast, players move freely through more than 25 action-packed 3D stages, inhaling enemies and powering up along the way. The game launches exclusively in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS this winter.
- Lastly, a new multiplayer action game* in the Kirby series is coming to Nintendo 3DS this summer. More information will be revealed about this game in the future.
- Miitopia: Calling all Tomodachis! A dark lord is stealing the faces of everybody in the world of Miitopia, and it’s up to brave players to bring them back in this adventure sim coming to Nintendo 3DS systems later this year. Create your friends and family from scratch or easily transfer them from Tomodachi Life, then cast them to fight alongside you or play other key roles in the story – even the dark lord. More information will be revealed in the future.
- Ever Oasis: Grow and expand the world’s last oasis in Ever Oasis, a new action-adventure RPG from Koichi Ishii, the creator of the Mana series. Ever Oasis launches exclusively for Nintendo 3DS family systems on 24th June.
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: The downloadable content will be a combination of free and paid, and provides players with new maps, dungeons and challenges. More information about this DLC, including launch timing and the optional season pass, will be revealed in the future.
- Monster Hunter Stories: Prepare to embark on an RPG adventure unlike anything the Monster Hunter series has ever known. In Monster Hunter Stories, become a Rider and bond with monsters to raise their potential and unleash powerful combos. Players can fly, swim and crash into new areas of the map; discover eggs to collect and hatch; and participate in turn-based battles with a party of up to five monsters. Monster Hunter Stories launches for Nintendo 3DS this spring.
- New amiibo Approaching!: The final Super Smash Bros. amiibo figures are on the way! Two versions of Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta amiibo figures will hit store shelves on 22nd July.
- The Legend of Zelda amiibo: Three new amiibo figures based on Link from the Majora’s Mask, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword entries of The Legend of Zelda series will be released on 24th