Matchpoint Launching Into Gamepass
It feels like an absolute age since we have had a really good tennis game. We have had a few that have done fairly well (AO Tennis 2) and some that have been abysmal (Tennis World Tour) but nothing that has reached the heights of Top Spin 4 or even the last game in the Virtua Tennis series. That may change with Matchpoint. Being released by Kalypso Media, Matchpoint Tennis Championships features 16 licenced tennis professionals, 65 tournaments and 26 stadiums from across the world. It promises to be a faithful simulation while at the same time an enjoyable game. Big words and ones we have heard before but I live in hope.
In a move that is likely to gain some support, at least initially, Matchpoint has announced that it will be released straight into Gamepass on both PC and Xbox. So that should give its player count a massive boost. The game is also coming to PS4/5 and Switch so regardless of the platform you should be sorted. The release date at this stage is July 7 so there isn’t too long to wait to find out if Tennis fans finally have a game to get excited about after such a long time. In the meantime, you can check out the latest trailer and feature list to potentially whet your appetite.
- Enter the world of professional Tennis. Matchpoint – Tennis Championships offers a deep career mode featuring a unique merit-based ranking system.
- Create your own 3D tennis star. Choose your look, fashion and play style with an array of customization options including true to life techniques such as left-or right-handed, onehanded or twohanded backhand.
- Dominate the court as a tennis professional. Matchpoint – Tennis Championships features 16 real-life international tennis stars from the professional circuit, including Nick Kyrgios, Kei Nishikori, Amanda Anisimova.
- Fully customize your athlete and wearables. From rackets to clothing, the game features gear from all of tennis’ name-brands including Babolat, YONEX, HEAD, and many more. Unlock special equipment by winning competitive matches.
- Master all strokes and shots in grand style. Determine the outcome of a rally by choosing the best technique for the time: top spin, flat, lob or slice shot.
- Take on opponents in local or online matches. Play against a cunning AI or face your friends and rivals on the court via local sessions and online cross-play.
- Study your rival’s moves and tactics. Watch your opponents and get to know their strengths and weaknesses to gain a tactical advantage before you even hit the court.
- Practice makes perfect: hire a personal coach to hone your skills. Buff your strengths and diminish your weaknesses with an in-game coaching system of individual training modules.
- Fine-tune your tactics in Practice and Mini-Game modes: Jump into a variety of mini-games to hone your perfect game and become a force to be reckoned with on the court.
- Compete in exhibition matches at spectacular venues around the globe. Each court has its own characteristics; study your arenas of play and adapt your game to grass, clay and hard courts.
- Replay mode. Breakpoint or deciding match point, capture your fiercest rallies on film and study the outcomes to improve your game.