Gamescom is running right now over in Germany and some big news is rushing out of Europe’s largest games convention. Check out what EA had to say in their big press conference as our Editor Matt takes you through all the big announcements.
Gamescom 2015 – EA Briefing
– First off the bat for EA was the Need for Speed reboot. The focus of what was on show was the way the game encourages the player to aim for one type of play style. These styles are based on the driving exploits of real life car icons such as Ken Block and these car icon will be featured in game. In fact all of the story components are told with FMV, something that hasn’t been seen in a long time. It will be interesting to see how it pans out and whether this new gameplay system reaches its full potential.
– EA then went on to an excellent 5 minute gameplay trailer of Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst. The gameplay was certainly impressive with excellent movement and solid combat the highlight. This one is coming in February 2016 and it should be on everyone’s wish list.
– The Old Republic also received some love with more detail about the story based expansion Knights of the Fallen Empire. It seems to be aiming at convincing fans of the original Knights of the Old Republic games to give The Old Republic another go and also could be a good starting point for people that have wanted to check the game out but never got around to it.
– The Sims got some extended love with a bad dance number and a new expansion. Not much to say about it really as I am not big on what makes up The Sims these days but fans should check out the trailer as there is bound to be some exciting stuff in there for you.
– 6 new classes for Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 were announced all significantly different from the combatants in the first game. Also on show was a new map set on the moon and a new open area that acts as an activity hub and mission prep area. EA were also big on mentioning that this time round there will be single player and couch co-op modes. Couch co-op should be especially entertaining for this game.
– Yarney made a return to the big stage with an extended gameplay showing of Unravelled. Every time I see this game it impresses me even more. The physics based puzzles and stunning art style left me wanting this game ASAP. It is great to see a massive company such as EA investing in a small project such as this and I hope it is a sign of things to come.
– X-wing Vs Tie Fighter 2! No not really (one day it will happen I swear) but something fairly close. Battlefront will feature a brand new air combat mode that will allow players to pilot some of the most iconic fighters from Star Wars. The Falcon, Slave One, Tie Interceptors and of course X-wings will be on offer in some hectic dogfighting missions. It looks great.
– Finally EA ended with new FIFA features. I will leave this to the presentation as they explain it better than I ever could. I will say it is looking great though.
So that is a wrap on the EA Conference. Nothing surprising but still some more in depth looks at games we are already excited for. What are your thoughts? Let us know on the tweets or in the comments below.