Rico's Roughnecks Report. Starship Troopers: Extermination Is Coming.
You wanna live forever? Well you probably won’t in Starship Troopers: Extermination a new game in the Starship Troopers universe that looks to take the Left 4 Dead formula, add in some tower defence a pinch of battle royale and a healthy dose of co-op strategy between three teams of 4 players. Honestly, the mix sounds like the perfect way to bring Starship Troopers to life on our computers and consoles.
The game is being developed by Outworld Industries who are more known for military-style shooters such as Beyond the Wire so it will be interesting to see how they bring those sensibilities to a Sci/Fi world. It should mean that the foundations are solid however and with the game coming to PC in Early Access it should mean they have every chance to polish everything until it shines.
According to the press release, the key features are as follows:
- Cooperative Gameplay – 12 players can team up in squads of four to defend their base, complete objectives, gather resources, and try to kill every Bug in sight.
- Three Playable Classes – Choose from Assault, Support, and Defense classes to best suit your playstyle and support the rest of your squad.
- Build Defenses – Construct walls, towers, ammo stations, and more using resources acquired from planetside refineries.
- Class Progression System – Unlock new weapons, equipment, and perks for each class to become an elite warfighter among the Deep Space Vanguard.
- 5 Unique Bug Types -At Early Access launch, encounter Drone, Warrior, Gunner, Plasma Grenadier, and Tiger Elite enemy Bugs during planetside missions.
- Escalating Infestation Levels – Increasing Bug threat levels during missions bring bigger and more dangerous enemies to the fight.
- Large-scale Battles – A massive map with five unique zones, and swarm-based combat with hundreds of enemy Bugs on screen delivers the sense of an overwhelming planetary war.
- Ground War – Retake bases and refineries, destroy hives, and complete a variety of side objectives to wrest control of the map away from the Bug menace.
- Ping system – Communication is key! The ‘Ping’ system gives players a quick and easy way to call out points of interest, objectives, incoming enemies, and more to teammates.
It all honestly sounds pretty darn good to me so I will be keen to check it out when it hits EA in 2023. In the meantime check out the two trailers (one exclusive to IGN) and the first screens below. Oh and maybe go watch Starship Troopers if you haven’t and if you have, perhaps watch it again.